Thursday, March 8, 2007

Week 3-4, Exercises 7

Well, it has been "strongly suggested" to me that I finish all 23 things. So I will do them, but don't expect any bells and whistles. I realized that my last blog was incorrectly labeled. It was actually Exercise 6, not 7.
Exercise 7: I am probably one of the few people that don't really like digital cameras. The main reason is because my photo album ends right when I got a digital camera. Previously, I used the disposable kind, which you point and click, turn it in and then pick up your pictures. Sure some didn't turn out very well or were just plain bad, but at least it was very simple to pick out a few for adding to my photo album. Now they either get put on a disk or get downloaded directly to your computer. Then you completely lose these downloaded pictures if you don't put them in a service like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. I've had my harddrive crash at least once and been changed another time. So some pictures are lost forever.
Another thing I don't like about digital cameras is all the extra features that never get used. The instruction manual was lost while I was vacationing in Europe, so I never figured out all the features, although I dobt I would have used them even if I figured out how to use them. I know how to use the basic features like zoom (but only thought to use it one time), turn the flash on/off, view pictures, erase pictures, etc. Last time I wanted to use it, the batteries weren't working, so I had to carry it around for nothing. Also, 99% of pictures I take or have taken with my camera are of me and my friends. If I were to get them printed out (yet another hassle) I would only get them 3" x 5" or 4" x 6", for which I don't need 4, 5, or 6 mega-pixel quality.
The final thing is that like computers and cell phones the technology changes too fast. The camera that was cutting-edge technology 3-4 years ago is now an rather obsolete and unwieldy. I could have a much more compact camera for much cheaper than what I paid for my brick-like camera.
For all of these reasons I would be happy with a return to disposable cameras or a 1 or 2 megapixel camera (if such things even exist any more.)

No comments: