Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Week 6, Exercise 15

For exercise 15, I read Away from Icebergs and To a temporary place in time as well as Wikipedia – Library 2.0 I got the most out of the Wikipedia explanation of Libraries 2.0, especially the diagram. However, I also liked the analogies in "Away from Icebergs" and the clear, concise examples of what libraries should avoid. I didn't like "To a temporary place in time" because it makes too many assumptions about what will come in the future. I'm quite sure that nobody could have predicted twenty-five years ago that all card catalogs would become computerized, that most people would have access to the internet, and that people would be so plugged in to i-pods, laptop computers, and other mobile devices. It seems rather futile to try to imagine how much more things will change in the next ten years, much less a longer time period. To me, Learning 2.0 is just another example of the evolution of libraries that I have witnessed since I began volunteering at my local library 20 years ago. However, it seems that libraries have finally decided to be proactive about adapting to new technologies rather than reactive, as they have (been perceived) in the past.

No comments: