Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week 9, Exercise 22

So I explored the SJlibray's ebooks site and the Project Gutenberg site. Although, I personally prefer to read actual print books and indeed most of the books I read are too contemporary to be on that site due to the present onerous copyright law. I read all 3000+ pages of the unabridged print version of "War and Peace" years ago and when I looked it up on the Gutenberg site, they only had the abridged version of approximately 1230 pages. Not that I would want to read even that many pages on a computer, but if I wanted to read a poem or a really short classic, I could see using this site. Maybe some day people will evolve eyes that are better adapted to read print on-line or even develop cyborg eyes that have perfect vision, can filter out the glare and harmful effects of staring at a computer screen, don't get eye strain, etc. But until that time I don't really see the extensive use of e-books as being practical. So concludes exercise 22 and I am on to the final exercise.

No comments: